Friday, June 3, 2016

Maori Designs

WHANAU STORIES

In room 17, we have been learning about Maori designs.

A few Maori designs that we discussed were the koru, roimata, single twist, triple twist, whale/ dolphin tail, and the toki.

The children had to learn about what these designs symbolised, so they could portray a story about their family through these designs.

"The two outside koru patterns represent my parents.  The three koru patterns on the inside of my art, show my two brothers, and myself.  At the top of my art I have used a toki, this is to show the power and leadership my dad has. The two roimatas on the side of my artwork show the loss of my dog and my nana, that were very special to me," Luke.


We also talked about warm and cool colours.  They were to chose warm colours to use in either the background or foreground and then choose the opposite for the other section of their art.

13 comments:

  1. I love how you have explained your pieces of artwork! It's so interesting to hear about the stories behind the artwork!!

    Miss Johnstone

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a powerful piece of artwork especially when you understand the story behind it!. i love the contrasting colours and shapes you have used - Miss Yirrell

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen these pieces of art up close in Room 17. They are beautiful and I love how they display such strong and personal stories. Miss Berry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pictures.
    Mr M

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meinga Meinga! They look amazing and I can see that the children have been trying to be responsible with their art work! I love the colours. Ka pai!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the specific descriptions to what each piece of the artwork means. Great contrasts between hot and cold colors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job! I really like how you have used symbols to represent a story!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this piece of work by Luke. He's so proud of his Māori heritage.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great work in researching what each symbol means so that you are able to personalise your own stories - this is a very powerful representation of yourselves.
    Mrs Sigley

    ReplyDelete
  10. The warm and cool colours show good contrast and really make the colours stand out. Well done everyone!
    Miss Gouldstone

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't wait to see the Maori designs done by Room 4. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Contrasting warm and cold colours is a super effective way of making images stand out. What element of art will you explore next?

    ReplyDelete